About The River

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

A Morning Glory Hodgepodge

 

It never fails, the last week of August the morning glories will start to bloom.

 

Happy September Friends and now it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 

 1. What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to doing? 

 
My husband and I wanted to go on a canoe trip on the Red Cedar River.  We have our route planned out for the day trip, including the place we plan to eat after.
 It will have to wait until next year.
 
 
 2. Were you the student who sat in the front row or hid in the back of the class? If you could go back and take one high school class again just for fun, which would it be? 
 
We had assigned seats in my school district growing up. I never had a choice. Although I did get moved a few times after the teacher found out they had placed me by a friend and we would not stop talking. Hee Hee!
I loved Biology, sign me up. 
 
 3. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher (this can be applied to anyone who teaches, not just classroom teachers)? 
 
A teacher who can understand that we are not all cut from the same cookie cutter.
Boys will be boys. As a mom to boys, boys learn differently than girls. And that is the same with girls. If a teacher can TRULY understand that.. High Fives!
 
  4.  September 2nd is National Grits Day. Have you ever eaten grits? Are you a fan? If so how do you like yours? Would people describe you as 'having grit'? 
  
I have not eaten grits. But I just clipped a recipe out calling for them. The question is will I make the recipe. 
 
 5. What's something you're never too old or too young to enjoy? 
 
Lake Superior
 
This past weekend we were with several people who had never visited Lake Superior. They were in awe. She is mighty and beautiful.
 
 

 
  6. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
Happy Morning Glory Day to You! 

 


9 comments:

  1. It's a great feeling to introduce something you love to someone who has not seen it/experienced it. I have not seen Superior since I was a child. I've seen Lake Erie many times and consider it "my" Great Lake, lol. It sounds like Superior is yours!! Agree about boys and girls learning differently. Unfortunately, public schools have one way of teaching and I think it's to boys' disadvantage. Love the morning glory pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm answering number five - a garden! It actually answers number one as well as I had great plans for the summer garden and many of them fell victim to the heat.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the lakes around Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan are so beautiful. I love Superior too. Glad you had a great weekend for the wedding and being near the lake. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your morning glory is glorious : ) I'd like to see at least one of the Great Lakes. I am with you on recipes. I save many, but how many do I actually make? I've been a bit of a lazy cook this summer and hope to get my kitchen mojo back once fall is here. We're in the 90's here so not feeling very fall like just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a shame you never got to go on your canoe trip. It's something to look forward to for next year.
    I had assigned seats at school and was never lucky enough to be sat next to my friends. Hmmf.
    Lake Superior looks like a fantastic place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Carla! I was moved a few times in grade school for the same reason. I had a crush on my 9th grade biology teacher. I really enjoyed my physiology class too. I sure hope you get to do your canoe ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday I would like to visit the Great Lakes. I was a straight A student in academics, but was continually in trouble for talking too much! They would have separated us if we were seated by each other haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only assigned in some classes (by high school). I was quiet, unless I was close to a friend :). I think I'd like to take a class on things I paid zero attention to back then, history, science? I like grits, we didn't haven them often but served just a tiny bit sweet with a pat of butter at breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teacher answer...amen to that. What fun to experience someone else's amazement about a place you love. Assigned seats were the thing over the course of K-12. My 6th grade teacher discovered I was having a sight issue when my seat was further back in the classroom and I couldn't see the chalk board. Parents informed and I was prescribed glasses with the correction I needed to see the world in a whole new light! Happy September to you.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!