About The River

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Choo - Choo and it is The Hodgepodge

 

Once upon a time we took my mom on a train for Mother's Day Brunch.

 Me and my mom.



Choo - Choo

Can you hear the train coming? 

No matter if you can or if you cannot, it is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 

 1. How do you define beauty? 

 

Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.

St. Augustine

 

  2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World)

 

Our family took a day trip on a train. We treated my mom to a Mother's Day Brunch on the train. It was a fun day. I am sharing some photos of the day below. 

 

Me and my husband... our first year of marriage.

 

 


 

My mom. All the mom's were given corsages as they boarded the train.

 

 


 

Enjoying our brunch as we choo choo along.

 

 

 

3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or how it relates to your life in some way currently.

 
  Shell shocked by the current comments regarding September 11, 2001.

 

  4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite food on the list that comes in/with a shell? 

 

I do enjoy eggs. I have an egg everyday for breakfast. They never get old for me. Yum!

I also enjoy tacos, but I do not usually eat them with a shell. 

 

  5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate. 

 

Oh yes, birthdays are a big deal. We are to be sure to gather for birthdays. It might not be on the day, but we will get together at some point to celebrate.

 My birthday is a big deal to me. My birthday is 12/12. With that 12 is my favorite number. And my 12/12/2012 birthday was VERY special. I felt very loved by family and friends on 12/12/12.

 

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 

September, the month you get to enjoy all the hard work you put in during the garden season. We made salsa this weekend with some of our bounty.  


 

 

 

 

25 comments:

  1. For sure about September- I have been feeling/living that and it's been nice! Homemade salsa sounds really good! Your train trip for Mother's Day sounds lovely- the pictures are so good. I'm sure it's a great memory for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those fun pictures of newlywed you : ) Our tomatoes are slowing down but we're still eating a handful every day. I agree there is much in the news today that is 'shell shocking'. 2001 America would absolutely not believe 2026 America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great idea having a Mother's Day Brunch on a train. Fab photos!
    Eggs are my favourite too!
    Good job with everything from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh what a fun Mother's Day . Unique and very memorable. You and Jeremy are so cute and you look very much like your mom. I am a summer girl but I have to say with all the crazy weather we had this summer I am looking forward to fall. We already are having cool nights and only in the 70's during the day. Perfect weather. Enjoy the rest of your week. Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute young lady in those pictures. We used to have a dinner train here and the first year we moved up here, they discontinued it. There's talk to bring it back! Have a great day, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fresh produce is so colorful. Now I'm craving fresh tomatoes!! What a great mother's day gift for your mom - time with you PLUS a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo with your mom is so cute! *I think I had a very similar dress back then :). Shell - it would have to be eggs, I eat them so often. I think I'm getting to the last of the tomatoes, sadly. But Fall brings its own goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love the photo of you and your mother! Beautiful!!! I love trains! I have been on commuter trains a few times here in Montreal, but I have never dined on a train! I would so enjoy it, though! Such a fantastic Mother's day gift for your mom. Thank you so much for sharing this post and your lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had the occasion of travelling by train but what a wonderful way to celebrate your love for your mother on Mother's Day. You look so lovely with your mom and also with Jeramy.
    Your beauty always shows from the inside and out.

    Soon it will be time to put the gardens to bed. I've already started that chore and it seems like there's no end in sight.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those golden birthdays are fun and wow a 12/12/12 birthday is extra special! Sweet photos from the Mother's Day brunch on the train!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your Mom look the same age! It is good to see your husband. You are wearing sandals, and it looks like maybe a lot of gravel and such. Did it bother your feet? Yes, leave it to me to notice something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I will start with the ending -- your vegetables are so beautiful and I can just imagine how incredible the salsa will be! Ugh I could drink salsa, I love it so much. Regarding being shell shocked over comments about 9/11 ... on the day, we were telling Dagny how patriotic everyone was in the months immediately following that disastrous event. Now, a display of patriotism is more likely to be met with outright hatred, or outright BANNED. It's so distressing. God help us. Many years ago, TG and I took a day trip on a train in the mountains of East Tennessee. Speaking of disasters, that's what it was for me. I was not feeling well, and all I wanted was to sit in the dining car and have breakfast with real dishes. TG would not go with me to the dining car, so I went alone, and it was powdered eggs and awful coffee, served on paper plates and styrofoam. I was devastated. I got my ideas from old movies, and I just wanted to have that experience. It was a bitterly cold day and that did not help, and we salvaged what was left of it, but it's not a great memory. Your mom is beautiful and that looks like it was a truly special day. The corsage was a wonderful touch. xoxo 🏴‍☠️

    ReplyDelete
  13. The vegetables are picture perfect. so pretty, so fresh and so healthy!! I do love train rides..my favorite is the one we took from Anchorage Alaska to Seward. I want to do this train ride again. Love the pictures you posted of you all on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very cool that your birthday is 12/12/2012. What a nice Mother's Day gift to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How adorable are you?? I love seeing all the pictures you've been sharing lately. So fun!! I've never been on a long train trip, but I'd love to take one of those vacation ones, or a leaf viewing one this season. I bet your brunch was fun. Ah...yes, 9/11...we live in NY, my husband was downtown that day, it was terrifying and to hear the comments now, in my hometown especially, has been very distressing. Your veggies look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your gardening bounty looks lovely! I love traveling by train. :D I don't even want to know about the 9/11 comments. I don't think I can handle that right now. As always, I love reading your answers to these questions! :D

    BTW You are so cute. You haven't aged much, only your hair style has changed. But look at your mom! You got good genes from her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so cute! I love all the pictures. Your vegetables from the garden look so pretty. This was a terrible year for gardening here because of the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How thoughtful and fun to take your mom on that train ride. Now I hear brunch is dead. The only trains I have been on are those at the museums. Would like to go on a dinner train. I so agree with your sentiment regarding 9/11. Just so sad. Question #4 I like all those shells mentioned except for oysters. Birthdays are low key around here for Bob and I. However still do dinner with my grands for theirs. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the post and seeing you and hubby when you were 'kids'. I have never been on a 'regular' train although I have taken the train from Milwaukee to Chicago but that is a different sort of train adventure. lol. Love the veggie pictures. Welcoming Fall for all of us here in WI. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet to celebrate your mom on a train. You and J look so cute (and I see your boys in you both!). I'm into eggs again and haven't gotten sick of them yet. Your garden is so bountiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet photos from the train ride. I understand where you are coming from about 9/11. I recently made some hard boiled eggs and I'm really enjoying them. I am happy to hear that you enjoy your birthday's. Your veggies look delicious. We have had some nice veggies too although we don't plant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photos from your train trip!! I think those one day excursion trips are so much fun and I'd love to do more of them. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Train trips! I do enjoy them. And I've been on so many. Up and down the west coast on Amtrak so many times. Chicago to Portland (Oregon) and back. Juneau to Yukon. Bandung to Yogyakarta and back (Indonesia), all over England and across Ireland.
    Your trip with your mom was so special. Love the corsage.
    Homemade salsa-- yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed your answers. What an amazing bounty from your garden

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved seeing the Choo choo train ride pictures, Carla! I eat an egg everyday, too, and don’t get tired of them. xo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!