About The River

Monday, January 31, 2011

Snow, Snow, Snow

We are receiving a beautiful snow today. When this happens around here, we only have a few people cheering. (I am one of them) In fact, the radio station I listen to in the morning has a new morning host. This woman hates winter. I held my self back today from calling and telling her, "God did create all kinds of climates. In fact some are warm and sunny all year long. I will help you pack!"
Snow is actually an amazing creation. If you would like to learn more about snow, check out this book.
Wilson Bentley was born in February 9, 1865 on a farm in Jericho, Vermont, between Lake Champlain and Mount Mansfield, in the heart of the "snowbelt," where the annual snowfall is about 120 inches. He was fascinated with nature. His mom gave him an old microscope, he used it to look at flowers, raindrops, and grass. Best of all he used it to look at snow.
Starting at age fifteen he drew a hundred snow crystals each winter.  He learned that most crystals had six branches (though a few had three). Bentley stated " I found that snowflakes were masterpieces of design," he said "No one design was ever repeated.  When a snowflake melted...just that much beauty was gone, with out leaving any record behind."
Bentley continued to try to capture the snowflake. He found a way with a camera and microscope. The best snowstorm of his life occurred on Valentine's Day in 1928. He made over a hundred photographs during the two-day storm.
I have had a few snowflakes land on my dark blue jacket and I can really see the beauty. The snowflake melts so fast. It is real wonder how Bentley could do what he did back in a day of beginning technology. I am so glad he did, he captured a most fascinating part of creation. Of course I am going to say goodbye by singing ....Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

High Fives from Wisconsin!