About The River

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Wisconsin Cotton Year Two

 

 My friend L gifted me cotton seed last year. I wrote a post about it 2025 Cotton in case you want to read the birth of Wisconsin cotton. 

Well that cotton grew, but did not form its pods until late in the year. I brought the plant inside for the winter. Two cotton bolls were harvested. 

The plant wintered well, so this spring I potted on the plant into a larger pot.

Thanks to our hot and humid summer. I am going to have a bumper crop of Wisconsin cotton this year. 


 

Cotton flowers... as the flower matured it changed color.

 

 

Cotton pods are forming. 

 


 

More cotton pods.

 


 

Before the pod, came the flower. The flower started out yellow/white. 

 

 


 

Year two of the cotton plant.

 


The below photos are from the start of the cotton plant in 2025. 

 

 

 

23 comments:

  1. How cool Carla. You are the plant whisperer for sure. Have a great holiday weekend. Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! And I thought about you when I wrote my post yesterday. YOU are one of my very first followers. You've been with me all of these years and I sure appreciate your love and support for all of these 18 years! You are the BEST! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious as to what you will do with the cotton when you harvest it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! I'm happy to see how your cotton started. I'm waiting for the blooms, I think they're pinkish? Such a fun experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Alabama, you can see fields and fields of cotton. It is such a neat plant! Yours is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is the first and only cotton plant I've ever seen "up close"! Year two is exciting! You can truly grow anything, Carla!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh! I remember reading about the cotton last year. What a pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever seen a cotton plant growing! It is so cool! And it has such pretty flowers. What are you going to do with the cotton??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! If you ever have seeds to share, I'd love to grow some at school for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carla, I learned something knew about cotton, it has a pretty flower! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty neat, collect a few more of those and you should be able to make a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So is that cotton that you can use? I've never seen this before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your gardening skills, growing cotton in Wisconsin! I too wonder (with Ginny above), what might you do with the cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's amazing, Carla. Have you ever been south when the cotton fields are ready for harvesting? It is a sight to behold. As you know from handling the cotton bolls they are hard on your hands. You can just imagine a day of migrant workers picking cotton until their hands were raw and bleeding. Kind of heart-breaking. Hugs and Happy Labor Day weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, my dear, have a green thumb! I remember when you started the seeds last year. How wonderful that you are growing cotton! Woo Hoo! I am so proud of you.
    In Arizona, in western Phoenix, there are fields upon fields of roses. Arizona grows 75% of the nation’s rose bushes for nurseries, etc. However, Arizona is also known for growing Pima Cotton. I have seen many fields of cotton when it has turned white. I am so excited for you to see it turn white! And you can pick it and display it in a vase forever! I actually have cotton displayed here in our Pennsylvania home. It is quite pretty. I am so happy for you!
    Happy Labor Day dear Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a neat plant and how cool that you can grow it in Wisconsin! I enjoyed seeing the progress pictures of the plant. Really great job! I'm impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so cool. I never knew you could grow cotton in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to see your decorations and new lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well that is so amazing that you are able to grow cotton! What a fun plant to grow, love the color of the flower. My mother in law grew up picking cotton in Texas, and it was such a difficult life for them. How amazing it would be to grow enough to make your own clothing, although I have heard you need to grow a lot of it to make it into fabric. A very fun post to read! September blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for you growing cotton!
    I tried to grow cotton in California, but it didn't grow.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!