About The River

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Happy Easter and it is the Hodgepodge!

The tradition continues.. I will be making my annual Easter Cake. 
The big reveal will be on the blog Monday.

 Today is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.

 
 1. How will you celebrate Easter this year?
 
It will be the three of us, my husband, me and our Senior in High School son, Atticus.
We plan to grill, make homemade fries, coleslaw and for dessert my annual Easter Cake.
 
 2019 Easter Cake
 
 2. Is it easier for you to receive grace offered or extend grace to another? Explain.
 I think it is easier for me to extend grace.
I like to bless others in little and big ways.
I recently went through an awful time at my work place with a bully. I extended grace each day I had to work with this person. It was extremely hard for me towards the last month I worked with her, but  I pressed on.

As far as receiving grace..
 
God’s grace is not cheap. It cost Jesus his life. Grace is the most expensive commodity there is. Jesus died on the cross to pay for it.

Jesus’ death on the cross accomplished three things in our lives:
  • It paid the penalty for sin.Someone had to pay for the penalty for our sin. If you have a relationship with Jesus, he has taken care of your penalty.
  • It broke the power of sin. Jesus’ death on the cross gives us the power to change the habits, hurts, and hangups that derail our lives.
  • The presence of sin will be obliterated. One day all who follow Jesus will go to Heaven, where there won’t be any sin.
The costly grace God offers will change everything about your life.
You just have to accept it!

I am so thankful to have a relationship with God. He helps me each and every day and I know I can not do it with out Him.


3. Do you say grace before meals? Yes, we do. If so do you have a standard dinnertime grace or is it more 'off the cuff' ? We have a standard dinnertime prayer and we take prayer requests. Do you say grace when dining out? We do. Do you have a favorite grace? I do, it is a special prayer I learned when I was in Girl Scouts, that we sang before we ate. Any special memory associated with 'saying grace'? My second favorite grace is sung to the tune of Edelweiss.



4. What are some challenges you think the next generation will face? (Generation Alpha-born between 2011 and 2025)

Hate .. there is so much anger and blame out in this big old world. 



 5. Share a favorite quote or lyric featuring the word faith.
 

 6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

 Happy Easter my Friends.

~ below photo taken at the Como Conservatory last Easter ~

17 comments:

  1. Let your faith be bigger than your fear....so perfect in these trying times. I'm keeping your family in my prayers. Please keep praying for mine! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about your annual Easter cake! I'm so glad you're still doing it! It will be a quiet Easter here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to continue remembering our God is greater than anything, so yes, our faith must be bigger than our fear. Our pastor also said doubt your doubts as quickly as you doubt your faith. What a cute cake and your thoughts on grace were so good. Hatred is truly a challenge even for us now. I keep thinking about what Jesus said, that in the last days the love of many would wax cold and lawlessness would abound. We see that all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of singing prayers. I can't wait for the Easter cake reveal! Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will likely be grilling on Easter too, which is different than our normal meal but we are rolling with it. I am baking a little too much-ha! but will try to concoct some sort of dessert with what I have here. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love this last quote. Wish I could hear the Edelweiss prayer! I love your Easter cake from last year, and wait seeing the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an excellent post, Carla, that I don't even know where to begin to comment on it. I hope you three will have a blessed Easter and we will be thinking of you and of Sam also, as he is away from you at this time. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to read your answers! A very Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers, Carla and a wonderful post. Your Easter menu sounds delicious! I love the idea of you doing an Easter cake...last years was adorable! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that saying Carla and it is so true. Love reading all your answers and I look forward to seeing your sweet Easter Cake on Monday. Enjoy the weekend and sharing your great meal together on Sunday. Terry does not like ham so with not being with family I am not going to make traditional ham for just me. We will do a nice Easter Breakfast for the two of us and maybe throw some steaks on the grill later in the day. It will be different this year for all of us. Prayers for Sam while he is out there helping so many and prayers for you and your hubby and Atticus that you are all together and safe and well. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat post, Carla. Our meal will be downsized this year since it's just Jim and I. We will definitely pray before our meal, as usual, and I think it will be longer than normal. Have a blessed Easter with your son and husband. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Easter, Carla! I can't wait to see your cake! We'll be cooking up one of our hams for Easter with all of the fixings - even if we can't go to church or see family, we can still celebrate with our family. I'm hoping that stripping away some of the traditions, we can focus on what Easter is really about - Jesus' sacrifice for us, and the proof that he's overcome even death for us! And the promise that we can be with him forever - how sweet a promise that is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am, of course, excited to see your Bunny Cake! Are you going to be able to grill tomorrow? Our forecast is looking a bit questionable right now! I hope you have a wonderful Easter at home with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love : let your Faith be bigger than your Fear. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is interesting (and rather nice) that so many of us bloggers prefer to give than to receive. Hope you had a lovely Easter day.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed this post, Carla. "Let your faith be bigger than your fear" is a great phrase to think on right now. Thank you. I hope you had a great Easter. Can't wait to see the cake! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. It blessed my heart this morning to read your words about what Christ's death on the cross means in our own lives. Thank you for so sweetly sharing your faith. Your Easter dinner for three sounds delicious and I'll look forward to seeing your 2020 Easter cake. I know you're so proud of the work Sam is doing and Atticus too!

    I share your concern about the anger and hate in the world now. It makes me even more grateful for the kind blog friends I know and for those who post uplifting and encouraging posts on social media. Every little drop of kindness expands, I believe.

    Have a safe week ahead,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!