About The River

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

It is a Tax Day Hodgepodge

I just realized I have not drove in a month! We have gone out hiking, but each time we head for an explore, my husband drives.

It is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.
Thank you Joyce for another fun Hodgepodge. And keeping it all going strong while waiting for the power to come back on.
Below note was from Joyce when she shared the questions with us.

Currently setting this up to post via my phone since we’re without power, and I can’t link the button. Hopefully by Wednesday my internet will be back in business.




1. In Monday’s post I mentioned I would incorporate the word I was given for letter K into this week’s questions. That word was karaoke. On a scale of 1-10 how excited would you be to find out there was karaoke happening at your next gathering/outing with friends? 10=gimme that microphone!, and 1=I suddenly remembered there’s somewhere else I need to be. I would be excited. #9 for sure! Have you ever actually done karaoke? I have not. I have played Rock Band. I played the Beatles version.We laughed and laughed and laughed. If you had to perform karaoke what would be your ‘go-to’song? Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places.



2. How do you listen to music these days? I listen from our I Pad that is plugged into a speaker. Favorite app or do you listen the old fashioned way? A favorite app. Do you have music playing often in your home? Yes. Is there still a CD player in your car? Yes.

3. The HP lands on US tax day this year. Or what used to be tax day before everything including filing your taxes was cancelled, delayed, postponed or extended. FYI- filing your taxes has not been cancelled, only delayed for a bit.

Besides staying away from anyone and everyone, what have you found taxing lately?

What is taxing me are the people not taking this serious. Our high school senior son works part time at Farm and Fleet. He has his share of stories during this Stay at Home period, but this past Saturday was "taxing", he came home grumpy. "Mom, why are so many people going out and about? You will not believe how busy the store was today. And people did not buy anything, just dawdle around. The worst of it, a family of five came in, all wearing masks, even the little baby! They asked if we sold movies!"

Stay Home People you are "taxing" Atticus!



4. You’re without power so no oven, and you can’t open your frig or freezer in order to keep what’s in there from spoiling. And you don’t have access to take out. What will you make us for dinner?
An Easter Blizzard dumped over 7 inches of snow in our neck of the woods. It is cold, with the lows in the teens and the highs just making the 30's.
I would offer to start a camp fire and heat up some beans, but it is too cold for that.
Instead, I will serve the following by candlelight..

Peanut Butter
Crackers
Cashews
Mixed Nuts and Dried Fruit
Chocolate


5.  I’ve seen this exercise going around Facebook and thought it would be a good one to include in the HP...what are five things everybody seems to love and go crazy for that you personally don’t care for?
ALDI Grocery Store
Energy Drinks
Buffalo Wild Wings
Broccoli
Dahlias



6.  Insert your own random thought here.

An Easter blizzard was in the forecast. We planned to grill a roast for Easter Sunday dinner. We decided to grill the roast on Saturday. My husband put the roast in the dutch oven on Sunday. We made coleslaw, steak fries and dinner rolls to go along with dinner. For dessert we enjoyed our Easter Cake.


17 comments:

  1. Your cake sure is pretty! And the weather sure has been crazy....we are having record highs! Take care and stay safe! Wish more people would stay home! Here in our community of older people...they mostly do! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these hodgepodge posts! I feel bad for Atticus!! People shouldn't be allowed to dawdle or be in a large groups like that at a store together! Come on people..get it together! Your Easter dinner sounded nice even with the blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention it, I haven't driven in over a month either. Stay healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends in Low Places is a great karaoke song! Would do that one with our kids for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just visited an Aldi for the first time over Christmas Break, and I loved it! My mother-in-law just sent me a text that said that they'd read that Aldi's products don't have any MSG, hydrogenated oils, or artificial colors. I love that!!! To each her own, I guess. Girl, I am with you on the energy drinks though. No thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great planning ahead. Your Easter meal looks great! I hope that baby with a mask on was over 2. They say it is not safe to put masks on babies under 2! Oye! People are so...never mind. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much money I saved this month by just using what was in my cupboard and fridge and freezer. I haven't driven my car in over a month also. Is that a carrot cake? My favorite...
    Stay well and healthy.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too much snow! Although I have to say that it's a good insulator. Our poor plants don't have a blanket when the nights are wayyyyy below freezing. I even have a couple of Trilliums up, and other wildflowers, along with non-native perennials. Poor babies; I hope they'll survive until the weekend warm-up. Oh dear, about the people not taking the virus seriously. I perceive that some folks around here are in a similar frame of mind, and unfortunately there's much more of a risk in larger cities. Stay safe and warm, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list of things that people love, but you are not crazy about...I completely agree!! Except for dahlias. But then you posted one! And a beautiful one at that. I'm thinking it is yours. They are awfully hard to find growing in any yard around here, actually impossible. But I can find them in some garden centers. They must be hard to grow. Atticus is right, this drives me crazy!! If people don't care about themselves, they should consider others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Easter meal sounded good. You really don't like dahlias? I can sympathise with Atticus. People still don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, snow on Easter! The weather has been so crazy. Your dinner sounds delicious, actually both of your dinners :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have had snow this week too.
    Here's a few things that I don't get the hype about: whats wrong with having a few cats, not just one?
    The Bachelor..and Bachelorette...just don't care
    and finally
    sweet and low

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a great Easter. Our weather has been crazy the last few days. Hoping by the weekend it will warm up again. I have to agree with Atticus STAY HOME PEOPLE!!! Kind of makes me mad when I have first responders on the front lines as you do with Sam and they do not get the choice to stay home and be safe than people that have this luxury to stay out of harm's way are out shopping for nothing. Crazy. Happy Thursday have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. We should have a karaoke party when this is all over with! :)
    Meanwhile, I agree we should try to be smart and take precautions. But even with those less-cautious people, we're slowing the spread, and that's what's important. I'm very thankful to live in the country, where my kids' playground is our own yard, and that's always open for them to enjoy without worrying about infecting anyone!
    I do like Aldi - mostly because their organic produce is usually cheaper and better quality than we can find elsewhere in this neck of the woods. They don't have as big a selection as I'd, like, though.
    Have a lovely day - the snow is melting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally took my car out for a drive after 30 days in the garage. I haven't done karaoke either but would like trying it now. True, why are people going out!! Those sound like snacks in our pantry. Wow, that was a lot of snow. I'm with you on Aldi and energy drinks. They are so bad for you and I just didn't like Aldi the one time I went to one. Your Easter dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been taking a drive about once a week, just short jaunts, because we don't want to have to get gas. It's nice to stretch out legs though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make me smile. I would run as fast as I could from that microphone, but I would love to hear you sing Friends in Low Places!
    I admire Atticus for providing for helping keep things going, but I would be taxed in his situation also. When Cliff came on Friday, driving by Walmart in Viroqua, he was absolutely stunned at the amount of cars in the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!