About The River

Monday, January 2, 2023

Happy New Year ~ Hello 2023

 Hello Friends,

Happy New Year and Hello 2023!

Before we jump into 2023 I am planning to do a few Rewind to December posts. I will be starting with the snow, wind, more snow and more wind.

Our neck of the woods was dumped on with a wet heavy snow. It was beautiful, but caused a lot of trouble. Friends and neighbors were out of electricity, some for several days. High Fives to all the brave linemen from our state and all the other states that came to help. ROPE - which stands for "Restoration Of Power in an Emergency." 

We lost four large branches on our big pine and lots of other branches down. The lights flickered on and off. Thankfully our power was not disrupted, just five miles from our home it was a different story. As we plowed and cleaned up snow, neighbors helping neighbors, I had to smile because this is what kindness is all about, and honestly there is a great deal more kindness out and about then what the media likes to share with us.

Sit back, relax and get ready for photos of ... SNOW!

 

Snow storm #1.

Our hens are in a Winter Wonderland


 

Making paths to the hens and the snow keeps falling.

 


 

A wet heavy snow that broke several  tree branches causing power outages and other damage. 

The snow started on December 14th - December 18th. Then the cold set in freezing the snow on the trees like frosting.

It is beautiful, the snow just started to melt off the trees on December 29th. It was a true white Christmas for two weeks.


 

Our friends had traveled for a Christmas party  and we were taking care of their cat, Bud. During our evening stop to peek in at Bud, we were greeted with this lovely scene out our friends french doors.

 



Then the winds picked up and the negative temperatures where here to stay. This photo is from our friends who have a long driveway along two farm fields. The drifting started and they could not drive out of the driveway on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. 


 

After the storm everything had "hats" or "muffin  tops."

Below are a few more photos of the beauty after the storm.

 





The above photo is after the snow storm before the winds arrived.

Below is a photo of the same birdhouse, look at the design in the "muffin top" from the strong winds.

The warmup is here, we reached over 40 degrees yesterday and will be in the mid 30's for the rest of the week. My friend Deb sent me the following funny...


Look at this weather being all springy and cute like it didn't just try to kill us last week.

 











17 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Carla. I'm glad that you didn't lose your power. It sure looks like winter over at your place. It looks so pretty but I don't have any envy, lol...
    Maybe if I skied or snowshoed it would be a different story. All our snow is gone and the lawn is green. We even had a green Christmas. The temperatures are mild for this time of year. We've had so much rain instead of snow.

    Stay safe and well.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature can be so treacherous but so beautiful too. Glad all your neighbors came together to help when you all needed it. Kindness is such a beautiful blessing. Love the sweet deer out the French doors. Happy New Year sweet friend. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that is a LOT of snow! Glad you didn't lose power. Happy New Year Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you did not lose power. Here, for New Years, we lost water, and are still without. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite the winter wonderland, and I love that y'all call the stacked snow on objects muffin tops or hats! Beautiful post, but I know it's inconvenient when you're stuck and can't go anywhere. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was some storm you had. Glad you were safe. True, the news doesn't cover those helping others. The photos are beautiful and I love the one out of your friends french doors. Absolutely precious. That is really amazing on the bird houses! Funny quote. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Themuffin tops are so cool! The last one looks like whipped cream or a Dairy Queen cone. And that little deer! He is standing in a circle of light, like a spotlight!! I also love the photo of the snow dunes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing this (but beautiful from my phone's perspective( makes me thankful I live in the south!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As beautiful as the snow looks, it can also be or become dangerous.
    It's great that you have good neighbors and that you help each other...yes, the most important thing in life - help yourself and others.
    Thank you for your photos, I like to see snow :-))) I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy New Year. Many greetings from Viola.

    ReplyDelete
  10. " neighbors helping neighbors, I had to smile because this is what kindness is all about,"
    I think this is very true in an emergency folks/people do step in and help each other.

    The photographs you share show such a lovely white-world, although pretty to look at dealing with it is another matter!
    So pleased to read that you are safe and well.

    Take care, and my good wishes for 2023 to you and yours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW thats a lot of snow. I remember drifts at my grandparents farms. The back roads seemed to be the last plowed out. If we were caught in a snowstorm, we would have to stay put, so my parents most of the time went home early if it happened on weekends when we visited. We did have the freezing temps and you know it was cold when Tundra our sled dog did not want to even be out side. Happy New Year! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I so enjoyed your snow pictures, Carla. It's so pretty around your neck of the woods. I like how you called the formed snow, muffin tops. Is that a deer I see through your friends' French doors? You know, we are having snow and rain at the moment. A storm is coming in tomorrow and will hit the valley, with rains and high winds. It's supposed to be severe weather conditions. Some of the highway right now is closed from the flooding. I'm so glad to hear you are safe and had no power outages so far.

    Have a bright new year, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks neat all heaped up on things! But that's a lot of weight and I do hate to see trees and limbs come down. Take care and Happy new year my friend. Your cards and notes have meant so much to me. I'm still having a hard time getting back to all my fun stuff! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, very strange weather lately. Wow, you guys really got the snow, didn't you? We got a few inches of the wet-heavy, stuff, but nowhere near what you got! I was glad for the snow coverage when the temps were so cold at Christmas. Now we're so warm, we don't have any snow left. Very strange January weather. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa!! That is a lot of snow!! I knew that temps were brutal across the country for several weeks, but I was not thinking about snow. I know that it's a real pain to drive in, but boy is it pretty in your neck of the woods. That photo of the deer and the light around it was magical. Are you sure she wasn't one of Santa's making an early visit? I mean you are a very good girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I need some snowy photos as we haven't gotten any yet! It looked so magical. I know it can be a pain, especially when power goes out and people can't get out. I love the muffin tops on everything!! What a pretty sight out your neighbors' French doors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The weather sure has kept us on our toes this winter! Love the "muffin top" photos!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!