About The River

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Microgreens

 Microgreens

Hello Friends,

 I am sharing the article I wrote for the January issue of the Cameron Chronicle "The Little Paper With Personality." 

This photo is not of Microgreens.. but of green.

Microgreens

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


Happy New Year!!


It is January and we are in full blown winter in Wisconsin. Are you getting ready to get your hands in the dirt. A fun way to garden and eat tasty greens is to grow microgreens.

Microgreens are a variety of edible immature greens. They are harvested with scissors less than a month after germination. Usually the plants are up to 2 inches tall.

Salad seed, radish seed, sunflower seed and cabbage seed are tasty mircrogreens. You can also find microgreen seed mixes for sale.


Start with a warm, sunny windowsill. Direct sunlight from a south-facing window works well. A small container for planting is best. Plastic take-out dishes are perfect. Clear fruit or salad boxes or even a disposable pie plate.

It is time to get planting!

  1. Read the seed packet to see if there are any special instructions.

  2. Cover the bottom of the container with an inch or two of moistened potting soil or mix.

  3. Scatter seeds evenly on top of the soil.

  4. Cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil. Dampen the surface with a mister. If you prefer, you can skip this step and instead cover the container with a clear lid or plastic wrap until the seeds are sprouted.

  5. While waiting for sprouts to appear, usually within three to seven days, use the mister once or twice daily to keep the soil moist but not wet.

  6. Once seeds have sprouted, remove the cover (if you've used one) and continue to mist once or twice a day.

It is time to eat microgreens!


Depending upon the type of seeds you planted your microgreens will be ready to harvest in about two to three weeks. Look for the first set of "true leaves" as a sign of readiness. Then grab your scissors and snip the greens just above the soil line.

To serve, wash the microgreens with water and dry with paper towels. Serve them immediately for the freshest flavor. Microgreens work well added in soups, salads, sandwiches or main dishes. Store remaining cut microgreens in a plastic bag in your refrigerator.

A fun activity to do with children and microgreens!

Save and wash out some eggshells. These eggshells will become planters. Decorate your eggshell planter with a smile face or other fun ideas. Place the eggshell planters in the carton. Add a tablespoon of soil or a little less inside the eggshell planter. Sprinkle some seeds on the soil. Sprinkle some soil on the seeds. Use a mister to water the eggshell planter. In a few weeks time your eggshell planter will have grown hair/microgreens.

Have fun eating and playing with microgreens. Until next time happy gardening!




 

 

17 comments:

  1. Growing microgreens is something I've never tried. They sell microgreen salads at our Co-op but I never bought any. The only sprouts I've been eating is the bean sprout they use in Chinese food. I looked at my seed catalogue but haven't ordered any seeds yet. I still got a lot left from last year. I'll probably cut back on what I plant because it's so much work.
    Usually I'm so anxious to start planting but I'm not in a planting mood yet. lol...

    I hope you don't get too much snow. Take care.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not known if micro greens are separate plants, or just young regular greens, so now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the grandchildren would enjoy growing microgreens :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm....this might be something I should consider. Thanks for sharing your article. Where do you purchase your seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Carla! When I was heavy into gardening I would spread eggshells around my plants outside. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your article on microgreens. Reading it makes me want to grow microgreens. I've never heard of doing that. Thank you Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard much about this, but it looks very interesting and rewarding. Our temps here in Texas today was in the upper 70's. I even have flowers blooming in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I've grown lettuces and herbs, but never microgreens. Fresh foliage is so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not grown microgreens before. It sounds like a fun winter activity to hold us over while we are itching to get back in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of micro greens. This is fascinating. Ohhhh how I cannot wait for Spring and Summer. Even though we have been with higher than normal temps the rain and no sunshine for days gets to me. Have a good rest of the week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good idea, though our window ledges always seem so cold and I'm not sure we get enough sun to make anything happen in my neck of the woods. An awful lot of gray drab ugly. But, you have me wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every time I've tried to grow microgreens in small containers, they dry out! I'd like to try the eggshell method at school, but I'm afraid the kids would be disappointed. :( Do you have any tricks (other than watering multiple times a day)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have started seedlings in egg shells/containers for years and they always do well. That's a great article, Carla. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, my WI friend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write so well, Carla, and what a good article you wrote about the Microgreens. The name of the chronicle, the little paper with personality, is so delightful. I like the fun activity with the eggshells for the children too. Spring is coming, and with that, comes many garden experiences for you. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not have a green thumb but every time I read one of your post like this I feel like the little engine that could...I think I can, I think I can!! Haha! Maybe...xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea and like you said it would be fun for kids!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!